Sunday, March 22, 2009

Too many hobbies is right: stash busting and organizing

Inspired by Ozma's stash-busting blog and tickled by the spring-cleaning bug, I decided to look through my belly dance stash. Wow, there are so many projects in there, I have enough to keep me busy for months, years maybe.

Here's a run down:
  1. Finish pearl costume. It's looking great. Fringe is in progress. I did actually make harem pants to go with it too. 

  2. Make a sleek skirt using the taupe/brown crushed panne I bought a couple of weeks ago.
  3. Re-make this lovely Samia Gamal inspired bedlah. I now have a good bra base. I went to Ross and bought a Delta Burke body suit. I cut it apart and used the bottom portion to make a tummy cover and now I can use the bra part to make a bra-base. I love two-fers. 

  4. Finish tribal inspired bathing suit top. I am not a tribal dancer, so I guess we can call this Tribaret. The biggest problem is that there is not a lot of support. I need to buy some fabric stiffener and stiffen the liner/cups and then insert them into the lining. I think that will help. Plus reinforcing the straps with grosgrain will help with the bounce factor.

  5. Make a purple belt using my stash. I finally have enough pieces to get started on this. I have been collecting for a few years now. I finally got the right fabric when I was search for fabric to match my purple Khahari costume. Well the fabric didn't work for the costume, but it is perfect for this project. After I make it I am going to splurge and buy a turquoise L rose skirt and u-top. I will wear a sparkly gold bra (also courtesy of Mz Delta Burke) with it. PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
  6. Speaking of the Khahari costume...I need to add more coverage to the cups and bead, as well as add about a inch of length to the bottom of the skirt. The fabric isn't an exact match, but I think if I can incorporate it in enough places, it will really come together. If I have enough of the mircodot stretch Lycra, I will make a flying skirt with it. I probably won't need this costume until at least August, so this one can wait.
  7. Make some more crop tops from that lovely Simplicity pattern 3832. I have a bunch of leftover panne. And I just bought some black Lycra that I will either make a crop top with or a flying skirt. 
  8. And finally (I think), I need to make a front closing caftan with the gorgeous cotton/rayon blend that my sister bought me in Africa (Tanazania or Nigeria). Photobucket
Yeah, so that is A LOT. More than enough. I have absolutely no business buying anything new, costume or otherwise. I mean, I didn't even get into all of the jewelry projects I would love to start. I am only allowed to buy stuff that I need to work on these, ie fabric stiffener, elastic, seed beads. Absolutely no more projects allowed!

Oh and I organized my belly dance cupboard today. It looks awesome. Adam still needs to install the handles, but it is so functional. Of course, I have more belly dance stuff in two closets and the TV stand, but most of it stays neat and tidy (yeah right) in the cupboard....and it really is a cupboard! It's an Ikea kitchen cabinet. Gotta love Ikeahacker
Dance dresserOh goodies

No comments: